Local History Photos

Hoelzle's Butcher Shop, Washington St & Fourth Ave (1893)


Hoelzle's Butcher Shop, Washington St & Fourth Ave (1893)

Washington Street and Fourth Avenue in 1893.

Read more in Hoelzle's Butcher Shop and Metzger's Restaurant by Grace Shackman and 201 East Washington Street.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


Date: 1893

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Ashley Street Station, 1896


Ashley Street Station, 1896

Horse-drawn carriages met trains coming in to the station in this 1896 view. The Old West Side, discernable in the background, was still sparsely settled.

Read more in Ann Arbor's "Other" Railroad by Grace Shackman, The Ann Arbor Railroad, 416 South Ashley Street, and 416 South Ashley #2.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL000326


Places: 416 S Ashley St
Date: 1896

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

1902 Allen's Creek Flood @ Washington St


1902 Allen's Creek Flood @ Washington St

Allen's Creek flood in 1902 as it crosses Washington Street.

Read more in The Rise and Fall of Allen's Creek by Grace Shackman, Allen Creek Valley Shapes the Town, and Industry and Recreation on Allen Creek.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


Date: 1902

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Cutting Apartment Building, constructed in 1906


Cutting Apartment Building, constructed in 1906

The 1906 Cutting, corner State and Monroe, was the first apartment building in Ann Arbor.

Read more in Cinema's First Century by Grace Shackman, Historic Buildings, Ann Arbor Michigan: 519-609 East Liberty Street by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg, Ann Arbor Streets: Town and Gown: Entertainment and Changing Culture, and Ann Arbor Founders: The Michigan Theater.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


Date: 1906

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Hoelzle's Butcher Shop, Christmas 1909


Hoelzle's Butcher Shop, Christmas 1909

Fred Hoelzle's butcher shop on Christmas, 1909. The staff had worked all night cutting fresh meat for their customers' holiday celebrations.

Read more in Hoelzle's Butcher Shop and Metzger's Restaurant by Grace Shackman and 201 East Washington Street.

Image courtesy of Walter Metzger.


Places: 201 E Washington St
Date: 1909

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Trubey's Confectionary, 1910


Trubey's Confectionary, 1910

Justin Trubey (foreground) and his son and daughter-in-law, Harold and Elsa Trubey, in Trubey's Confectionary, 116 South Main Street, 1910.

Read more in Justin Trubey and the Ice Cream Trade by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Doug Trubey.


Article Keywords: Trubey's Confectionary
People: Elsa Aprill Trubey, Harold D. Trubey, Justin A. Trubey
Places: 116 S Main St
Date: 1910

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

All-female cast of the Junior Girls' Play, 1914


All-female cast of the Junior Girls' Play, 1914

Cast of the 1914 Junior Girls' Play.

Read more in When Football Players Danced the Can-Can by Grace Shackman and Ann Arbor Foudners: Let's Put on a Play.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


Date: 1914

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Wuerth Theater, ca. 1916


Wuerth Theater, ca. 1916

Wuerth Theater, 320 South Main, showed the first talkie in 1929. This photo shows the marquee advertising Behind the Mask, starring Jack Holt, released in 1916.

Read more in Cinema's First Century by Grace Shackman, Ann Arbor Streets: Downtwon Movie Theaters, and Ann Arbor Founders: Movies Come to Ann Arbor.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


Places: 320 S Main St
Date: 1916

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Dixboro Methodist Church, ca. 1916


Dixboro Methodist Church, ca. 1916

The Dixboro Methodist Church, ca. 1916, was built in 1858 and has been the center of town life ever since. Photograph by Flossie F. Quackenbush

Read more in Dixboro by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Tom Freeman.


Date: 1916

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Plymouth Road looking east into Dixboro, ca. 1916


Plymouth Road looking east into Dixboro, ca. 1916

Plymouth Road looking east, ca. 1916, eight years before it was paved.

Read more in Dixboro by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Tom Freeman.


Date: 1916

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem