Local History Photos

Michigan Argus Staff, ca. 1850


Michigan Argus Staff, ca. 1850

The oldest known Ann Arbor photograph, this daguerreotype shows the staff of the Michigan Argus, the city's Democratic weekly newspaper, circa 1850. Editor and publisher L. W. Cole (he was always referred to by his initials, even in his obituary) is in the center of the picture in black suit and top hat, surrounded by his youthful staff in rolled-up shirtsleeves.

Read more in L.W. Cole and the Michigan Argus by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Henry Ford Museum.

Hey, were you looking for the Summer Game code? You found it! Enter GOODDAGUERREOTYPE on your play.aadl.org player page.


Date: 1850

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Detroit Observatory, ca. 1858


Detroit Observatory, ca. 1858

The earliest known picture of the Observatory, circa 1858. The man is probably first director Franz Brunnow with his father-in-law's dog, Leo.

Read more in The Detroit Observatory by Grace Shackman, Ann Arbor Streets: University of Michigan Campus, 1907, and 1308 East Ann Street by Marjorie Reade and Susan Wineberg.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL001680


Places: 1308 E Ann St
Date: 1858

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Weekly Michigan Argus, September 17, 1858


Weekly Michigan Argus, September 17, 1858

Weekly Michigan Argus, September 17, 1858.

Read more in L.W. Cole and the Michigan Argus by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


Date: 17 September 1858

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Main Street, Ann Arbor, ca. 1861


Main Street, Ann Arbor, ca. 1861

Main Street, circa 1861. Note the Argus Printing Press sign on the roof of the building on the corner of Main and Huron.

Read more in L.W. Cole and the Michigan Argus by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Keywords: H. Schlotterbeck, John W. Hunt, C.H. Millen & Co., Argus Printing Rooms


Date: 1861

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church


St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

Designed by Gordon Lloyd, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church is the oldest in Ann Arbor, dating back to 1868.

Read more in St. Andrew's Episcopal Church by Grace Shackman, Ann Arbor Architecture Archive: 306 North Division Street by Susan Wineberg and Marjorie Reade, and Ann Arbor Goes to Church.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


Places: 306 N Division St
Date: 1868

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church

First Congregational Church, designed in 1872 by Gordon Lloyd.

Read more in First Congregational Church by Grace Shackman and Ann Arbor Architecture Archive: 608 East William Street by Susan Wineberg and Marjorie Reade.


Places: 608 E William St
Date: 1872

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Delhi Village, 1874 plat map


Delhi Village, 1874 plat map

Delhi, looking north, in 1874 when it was still a thriving mill town, with homes and mills lining both sides of the Huron. It was all downhill from there: the first mill closed the same year.

Read more in Delhi Village by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL001549


Date: 1874

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Liberty St, with John Haarer's Photography Studio, ca. 1880


Liberty St, with John Haarer's Photography Studio, ca. 1880

John Haarer moved his studio to the modest frame building, left, in the mid-1870s. He replaced it in 1888 with the Romanesque structure that still exists. This photo was taken on German American Day.

Read more in John Haarer Photography Studio by Grace Shackman and Historic Buildings, Ann Arbor Michigan: 113 West Liberty Street.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL003536

Summary: Bentley, bib; aastreets


Date: 1880

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

John Haarer & his new photography studio, ca. 1889


John Haarer & his new photography studio, ca. 1889

John Haarer posed proudly in late 1880s in front of his impressive new photography studio and bookstore on West Liberty.

Read more in John Haarer Photography Studio by Grace Shackman and Historic Buildings, Ann Arbor Michigan: 113 West Liberty Street by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


People: John Haarer
Places: 113 W Liberty St
Date: 1889

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Kempf Family on their front porch


Kempf Family on their front porch

Reuben and Pauline Kempf, on right, 6-year-old daughter Elsa, and a friend, Marie Durheim (at left on the top step, beside Reuben Kempf), enjoy the Kempf front porch in 1890.

Read more in The Remarkable History of the Kempf House by Grace Shackman, The Germans Settle In, and Liberty and Division: Residential life in mid-19th-century Ann Arbor.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.


People: Pauline Widenmann Kempf, Reuben Henry Kempf
Date: 1890

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem