Local History Photos

Allen's Creek meets Huron River below Argo Dam


Allen's Creek meets Huron River below Argo Dam

Invisible for most of its course, Allen's Creek emerges to join the Huron below Argo Dam.

Read more in The Rise and Fall of Allen's Creek by Grace Shackman, Allen Creek Valley Shapes the Town, and Industry and Recreation on Allen Creek.

Image courtesy of Stan Shackman.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Detroit Observatory & Director's House


Detroit Observatory & Director's House

The Observatory with the director's house on the west side. While Brunnow was able to live in the president's house, Watson, the next director, needed a home, so one was built that connected to his office in the Observatory.

Read more in The Detroit Observatory by Grace Shackman, Ann Arbor Streets: University of Michigan Campus, 1907, and 1308 East Ann Street by Marjorie Reade and Susan Wineberg.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL001681


Places: 1308 E Ann St

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

The Whitney Theater


The Whitney Theater

The Whitney, 117-119 North Main, originally a venue for traveling stage shows, in 1917 showed Birth of a Nation as if it were just that. The early movie was touring the United States with a twenty-piece orchestra.

Read more in Cinema's First Century by Grace Shackman.
Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL004797


Places: 117-119 N Main St

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Construction of the new Schwaben Verein, 1914


Construction of the new Schwaben Verein, 1914

Construction of the Schwaben Verein.

Read more in The Story of the Schwaben Halle by Grace Shackman and Ann Arbor Streets: Germans on Ashley Street.

Image courtesy of Bill Mundus.


Places: 215 S Ashley St

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Postcard of Michigan Central Depot


Postcard of Michigan Central Depot

No amount of fine detailing—stained-glass windows, French tile floors, and even its own garden and fountain—could mask the depot's location in what was then a gritty industrial district. The dark mass looming on the left in this early postcard was the huge illuminating gas plant on Broadway.

Read more in The Michigan Central Depot by Grace Shackman, 401 Depot Street by Marjorie Reade & Susan Wineberg, and The Finest on the Line.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL004910


Places: 401 Depot Street

Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Farm Buildings, BL005487


Farm Buildings, BL005487

Read about Saline Valley Farms in Ann Arbor Observer: Then & Now.

Bentley Image Bank: BL005487

Keywords: farming, farms, agriculture, Saline Valley Farm



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Washtenaw County Poor House


Washtenaw County Poor House

The Washtenaw County Poor House, on Washtenaw near Platt, housed a variety of unfortunates, from the insane, handicapped, retarded, and injured, to the just plain down on their luck. An 1830 Michigan law required each county to have a poor house.

Read more in The County Poor House by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL001570



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Henry Krause's Tannery Building


Henry Krause's Tannery Building

Tannery building shortly before it was torn down.

Read more in Henry Krause's Tannery by Grace Shackman and Industry and Recreation on Allen Creek.

Image courtesy of Stan Shackman.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Lyra Male Choir


Lyra Male Choir

Rueben Kempf organized the Lyra Male Choir to bring town and gown together through the universal language of music. Elsa Kempf served as the group's mascot.

Read more in The Remarkable History of the Kempf House by Grace Shackman, The Music Makers, and Liberty and Division: Residential life in mid-19th-century Ann Arbor.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.

Bentley Image Bank: BL003586



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem

Trolley at Main & Washington


Trolley at Main & Washington

An open summer trolley car pauses to pick up a passenger at the corner of Main and Washington early in the century. (The old courthouse tower is in the background.) The large white sign on the front of the car advertises a 10 cent round-trip fare to a baseball game at the county fairgrounds (now Burns Park).

Read more in Ann Arbor's Streetcars by Grace Shackman.

Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem