Washtenaw County Infirmary, ca. 1970
An 1830 Michigan law required each county to have a poorhouse. The county infirmary, the successor to the poorhouse, was for poor people who needed continual medical care. Built in 1917, it closed in 1971 and was torn down in 1979.
Read more in The County Poor House by Grace Shackman.
Image courtesy of Washtenaw County.
Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)